Cooking chicken is just so versatile don’t you think? You bake, barbecue, stew, curry it and you get a comforting meal at the end of the process. This particular chicken would be good enough to eat on a weeknight, but also on special occasions or when you invite company. I loved all the colors as I kept adding layer upon layer of taste and tang. Oranges are popular this time of the year, I’m especially partial to the navel oranges, they are always so sweet and tasty. The oranges in this dish definitely upped it a notch and made a beautiful presentation don’t you think?
Imagine all the citrus flavors, garlic, olive oil and other poultry seasonings and fresh herbs? I marinated this overnight so you know the flavors melded.
Oranges, lemons and lime added to the mix
I got a bunch of veggies I had on hand in the refrigerator and roasted them with some olive oil, spices and herbs. I love this as my go-to side dish at least twice a week. I just use whatever veggies I have and with the onions a lot of caramelization goes on. This side paired perfectly with the chicken dish – my husband baked a potato and enjoyed it with the entire meal too. This recipe serves 6, but I halved it.
Citrus and Herb Roasted Chicken
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 whole lemons, one juiced and one sliced
- 2 whole oranges, one juiced and one sliced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10-12 pieces bone-in chicken parts (thighs and legs are best) pat dry
- 2 red onions sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, or fresh chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, or fresh chopped
- Additional herbs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, sugar, lemon juice, orange juice, lime juice, Italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a rimmed 13 x 9 baking dish. Place skin side up and spread them out evenly in the pan. Pour olive oil mixture all over the chicken, turning pieces to coat all sides.
- Arrange slices of lemon, orange and onion around and under the chicken. Sprinkle all over generously with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked and juices run clear. Remove to a serving platter and garnish with chopped fresh herbs.
This was a perfect mouthwatering chicken dish. The spiciness, the tanginess, the sweetness renders the chicken tender and oh so full of flavors. Enjoy!