These no-bake decadent desserts are definitely the way to go. I recall making a couple in the summer time when I didn’t have to turn the oven on at all, and what a treat they were. Now ’tis the season, and everywhere you look, flashes of red and green adorn the landscape – from christmas trees with red and green baubles to tables, from christmas sweaters to baked goods. Today, I’m presenting a no-bake fudge tart with stunning red arils from the pomegranate. These ruby red fruit that appear around Thanksgiving/Christmas time pack a mighty punch and have anti-oxidant properties and are a good source of vitamin A, C and E. You can even eat the seeds, they burst in your mouth!
no-bake chocolate pomegranate fudge tart
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup walnuts (can also use pecans or almonds)
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup cocoa powder.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey.
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted (can use refined coconut oil for less coconut flavor. This helps it firm up in the fridge. If substituting, use another fat that’s solid at room temperature).
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils, plus more for sprinkling on top.
- Place pitted dates, walnuts and salt into the bowl of a food processor. Blend until mixture is ground finely and holds together when pressed.
- Pour mixture out into a 13.75 x 4.25-inch rectangular tart pan.
- Firmly press crust mixture evenly up the sides and bottom of the pan. Place into the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cocoa powder, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla and salt. Whisk together until well blended and smooth. Fold in pomegranate arils.
- Pour filling into chilled crust and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle more arils over the top of the tart. Place tart into the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes, or until filling and crust is firm.
- Remove tart from the pan and cut into slices. Serve right away or return to the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Keep leftovers refrigerated and let stand 5-10 minutes at room temperature before serving.